Welcome to our Year 6 Class web page!
- Our PE days are Thursday and Friday (but please make sure children have their PE kits every day.)
- Homework is set on a Wednesday and should be returned by the following Monday. (please see the bottom of the page for homework)
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle in school with them.
Welcome to the Summer Term in Year 6!
This term we will be revising the key topics in preparation for our end of year assessments.
Our English units will be:
- Balanced Arguments- Should children have mobile phones?
- Persuasive speeches- Room 101
- Non Chronological reports – Sharks
- Narrative – Short stories
We are completing a Geography topic called ‘Raging Rivers’ in which we will look at the features of a river, famous rivers around the world and the water cycle.
Our Art project will focus on portraits. We will look at different styles of portrait and create some of our favourite celebrities and sports stars, finishing with a self-portrait in our chosen style.
We look forward to our end of Year 6 performance and a class fundraising event in the second part of the summer term.
Autumn Term 2017
Our topic for the Autumn term is World War 2. We will be learning all about
- The battle of Britain
- Churchill and Key moments of the war
- The role of women in the war
- The home front
- Anne Frank and the Holocaust
- VE day – the end of the war
Alongside our History topic, we will be having regular Science lessons. Our first science topic is inheritance and evolution.
Our units in English this term will be:
Narrative writing- The swing of Change
Recounts- Hurricane and Day of Ahmed’s secret
Choral and performance poems
Historical stories - War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
Instructions & Explanations
Poetry- Villainous characters The Spider and Fly by DiTerlizzi
As well as looking at a variety of text types and developing our skills through our English units, we will focus on the Year 6 Grammar objectives in grammar lessons.
This term our maths units will be:
Number and place value
Addition and subtraction
Multiplication and division
Fractions and decimals
Ratio and proportion